Monday, April 21, 2014

A Full English?

So I posted this photo on Facebook yesterday because I was so pleased to have found 'almost' English bacon and I got some of the weirdest comments from American friends.
Mmm.. look at those lovely eggs and is that British bacon?
One of those comments was "'Beans and eggs together? that's an interesting combo. It's not something I would have thought of" ... and I was actually really confused and I don't get it. Why wouldn't you have beans and eggs? Is there something terrible about having baked beans and eggs together? I don't understand the need to have even thought about it - it's just natural.   Go ahead, if you’re English and reading this – what would you have thought of that question?  I bet you’ve never questioned it either.
 
A full English breakfast is eggs, bacon, sausage, mushroom, tomato and fried slice, with some variations depending on what you have in the fridge at that time. I don't like fried tomatoes, so beans are my thing.
 
Another comment (from a Brit, of course) was "Peanut butter and jam – that's a weird combination!" And I agree!  Oh, and putting pancakes and syrup on the same plate as your eggs and bacon - now that's very weird!  And being expected to use the same knife and fork for it, ugh.  Sweet and savoury should not be mixed on the same plate.
 
I’m sure we just grow up and get used to what we are given to eat, but who decided that breakfast needed a pudding?  Why does bacon and eggs always come with pancakes?
 
Then came the questions from the Brits –
  • where’s the sausages and black pudding?
  • where’s the mushrooms?
  • where’s the fried tomatoes?
  • where’s the HP sauce?
  • where’s the fried bread?
Come on now – I’ve been here 20 years and only just found something that could be called “English” bacon.  Give me a chance already!  J

1 comment:

  1. Someone who understands the bacon struggle! I relate so much to your blogposts.

    ReplyDelete